Subject: bug#8342: 24.0.50; Emacs HEAD cannot build with OS X standard autoconf

From: Steve Purcell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:29:23 +0000

The latest Apple developer tools (XCode 3.2.6) provide autoconf version
2.61. Since 'configure' was removed from emacs bzr, it cannot be
regenerated on this platform without autoconf >= 2.6.5, i.e. overriding
Apple's standard autotools, which is widely deprecated.

IMHO, it should continue to be possible to build emacs without doing so,
as has always been the case.

% ./configure --with-ns
zsh: no such file or directory: ./configure
% autoreconf
configure.in:24: error: Autoconf version 2.65 or higher is required
configure.in:24: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 63
aclocal: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 63
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 63

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.6.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.35)
of 2011-03-21 on mandala.home
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-dbus' 'CFLAGS=-g''