Subject: 24.0.50; info-mode help is missing reference to `b' command

From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:31:52 -0600

Type `C-h ? i' and then ? to show the commands of info mode. The help
shows `.' as `Go to beginning of node'. There is no mention of `b',
which is bound to the same function according to the key mode map.

This is a little confusing since the info-mode tutorial introduces `b'
as the command to move to the beginning of the buffer.

Why are there two keys bound to the same function?

Why is the help command overview only showing the binding for `.' and
not `b'?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2011-03-21 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --cflags -IC:/Progra~2/GnuWin32/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/src'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<backspace> <backspace> d i <backspace> <backspace> 
e d i f f ' i n g SPC m u l t u p l e <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> i p l e SPC d <backspace> s 
e l e c t e d SPC f i l e s i <backspace> SPC i n SPC 
v c - d i r . SPC <backspace> <backspace> , SPC s e 
e SPC c o m m e n t SPC b e l o w . <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> r e g a r d i <backspace> i n 
g SPC t h e SPC F I X M E S-SPC <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-v 
C-v C-v M-v M-v M-v M-v C-c C-c q C-p <return> M C 
y q C-p C-p <return> M C y q SPC q g q y C-x k <return> 
C-x RET x l e <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> c 
l e a n u o <return> <backspace> p <return> C-g C-x 
C-b C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n d x y C-g q <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x m y - c l e a n <tab> 
C-g M-x g u <backspace> n u s <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> g C-p <return> SPC q C-p SPC C-n C-n C-n 
SPC q C-p SPC M C y q C-n C-p <return> M C y q g <help-echo> 
<help-echo> C-h ? i ? q C-x RET e r p o r t <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
r e p o r t <tab> <return> C-g C-h ? i ? q C-x RET 
r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
nnimap read 24k
nnimap read 25k [2 times]
nnimap read 26k [2 times]
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done
No Gnus is good news
Composing main Info directory...done
Type Space to return to Info
Quit
Type Space to return to Info

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/plugins/python hides d:/devel/emacs/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow emacsbug url-util url-parse url-vars help-mode view flow-fill qp
vc-hg sendmail sort ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-bcklg gnus-async
gnus-ml gnus-topic nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder rot13 epa-file epa epg
nnimap parse-time utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp proto-stream starttls tls gnus-cache nnir
gnus-sum macroexp nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils newcomment ibuf-ext ediff ediff-vers ediff-ptch
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-util tramp
warnings tramp-compat auth-source eieio gnus-util time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache format-spec tramp-loaddefs ediff-init pcvs
pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util byte-opt compile comint
bytecomp byte-compile vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher multi-isearch diff-mode edebug paredit add-log dired-aux
dired-x dired info vc-bzr texinfo js2-mode-autoloads package
zenburn-theme sha1 hex-util recentf tree-widget wid-edit midnight
desktop ibuffer uniquify autopair cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs regexp-opt browse-kill-ring+ browse-kill-ring second-sel ido
yasnippet dropdown-list derived easy-mmode easymenu assoc cl etags-table
etags ring org-install server advice help-fns advice-preload edmacro
kmacro autorevert delsel tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)