Subject: bug#8317: Subject: 24.0.50; sh-script.el took my key

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 06:04:09 -0700

> having defined "C-c (" onto some useful function here,
> when in Shell-script mode `sh-function` took it.
> Seems bad, as "C-c" should be a reserved key for users.

See (elisp)Coding Conventions.
The last section quoted here covers `C-c ('.

     Don't define `C-c LETTER' as a key in Lisp programs.  Sequences
     consisting of `C-c' and a letter (either upper or lower case) are
     reserved for users; they are the *only* sequences reserved for
     users, so do not block them.

     Changing all the Emacs major modes to respect this convention was a
     lot of work; abandoning this convention would make that work go to
     waste, and inconvenience users.  Please comply with it.

...

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by a control character or a
     digit are reserved for major modes.

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by `{', `}', `<', `>', `:'
     or `;' are also reserved for major modes.

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by any other punctuation
     character are allocated for minor modes.  Using them in a major
     mode is not absolutely prohibited, but if you do that, the major
     mode binding may be shadowed from time to time by minor modes.