Subject: bug#8317: Subject: 24.0.50; sh-script.el took my key

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:55:29 +0100

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> having defined "C-c (" onto some useful function here,
> when in Shell-script mode `sh-function` took it.
>
> Seems bad, as "C-c" should be a reserved key for users.

*Note (elisp) Major Mode Conventions::

   * The key sequences bound in a major mode keymap should usually
     start with `C-c', followed by a control character, a digit, or `{',
     `}', `<', `>', `:' or `;'.  The other punctuation characters are
     reserved for minor modes, and ordinary letters are reserved for
     users.

So while C-c ( should not be bound by a major mode, it can still be
bound by a minor mode, and you should move your binding to a letter.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."