Subject: bug#8314: 24.0.50; emacsclient -c does the wrong thing when compiled without X

From: PJ Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 01:00:25 -0700

On Friday, June 3, 2011, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 15:03:18 -0700
>> From: PJ Weisberg <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> I think that if there's no useable graphical display for *any* reason,
>> '-c' should be a synonym for '-t'.
>
> I'm not at all sure that's TRT.  Next you will be saying that if -t is
> not available either, emacsclient should start a new Emacs session.

There's already the -a="" option if I want that.  '-c' already acts
the same as '-t' if you're at a terminal with no graphical display.

Really I just want to say, "open whatever type of frame Emacs would
normally open."

In the script I was writing when I wrote this report I eventually used
`if emacs -Q --batch --eval "(kill-emacs (if (featurep 'x) 0 1))"' to
decide whether to creat a graphical frame or use --tty.

-- 

-PJ