Subject: bug#8314: 24.0.50; emacsclient -c does the wrong thing when compiled without X

From: PJ Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 15:03:18 -0700

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If we are allowed to assume that emacsclient is used with the same
> version of Emacs as it was compiled with, then it seems easy to get the
> behaviour you want, see patch. However, if you want to use the same
> emacsclient binary with both Emacs compiled with-x and without-x, then
> it won't work. Assuming you use the emacsclient from a build with-x,
> though, then you are no worse off than you are now.

I'm not somewhere where I can compile and test right now, but that
*looks* like it'll do what I want.  I'll come back and complain some
more over the weekend if I try it and it doesn't.  ;-)

> I wonder if it would be better to not accept the `-c' option in a
> without-x build.

I think that if there's no useable graphical display for *any* reason,
'-c' should be a synonym for '-t'.  The man page for emacsclient just
says "create a new frame instead of trying to use the current Emacs
frame" for that option, so the user hasn't *really* requested a
graphical frame.

-PJ