Subject: bug#8313: closed (Re: bug#8313: 23.3; MacBook Pro kp- keys don't work in Cocoa build)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 20:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8313: 23.3; MacBook Pro kp- keys don't work in Cocoa build

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8313: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8313
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8313: 23.3; MacBook Pro kp- keys don't work in Cocoa build
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Mitchell L Model <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 21:33:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 08:56:38PM -0400, Mitchell L Model wrote:
> Wow, this is from a long time ago. The keypad keys started working
> as of 25. For 23 and 24 someone had posted a patch, which I
> installed, then rebuilt Emacs, so I was able to use the function
> keys. Thanks for answering this.

Thanks. I'll close the bug report.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 23.3; MacBook Pro kp- keys don't work in Cocoa build
From: Mitchell Model <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:27:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On a MacBook Pro there doesn't appear to be any way to get Cocoa Emacs
23 (23.2 or 23.3) from http://emacsformacosx.com/ to see
Function-character as a kp-othercharacter event for those keys that have
Function alternates to emulate a keypad. The characters Emacs sees are
in fact the correct Function key variation of the characters -- e.g.,
Function-p is a * -- but they are not kp- versions of the events. Thus,
there is no way to bind, for example, kp-0 to anything. As a workaround
I have told Emacs to treat Function as hyper, which I never use
otherwise, and repeated all my kp- bindings (of which I have many) as
hyper equivalents. Carbon Emacs 22 did see Function-character as kp-
named keys.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.35)
 of 2011-03-09 on black.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=i686-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'CC=i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  partial-completion-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
M-< C-s t t . C-u C-n C-u C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n M-< C-s f o n t C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s - f a m i l y C-s C-a C-\ f o n t - f a m i 
l y SPC * . c s s <return> <help-echo> C-x o C-x C-f 
<M-backspace> <backspace> L <backspace> l i b <tab> 
<return> C-s c s s C-a C-x o M-< b C-z C-x C-f d C-x 
C-r C-g C-x C-r d e f <tab> <return> C-x 1 C-v C-v 
C-v C-x b p y <return> M-< SPC C-z C-x b <return> C-s 
d e s c n a m e C-s C-a M-< C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-x b d e f <return> C-x b d e f a u l t . 
c <return> C-x 1 C-s d e s c n a m e C-s C-a C-s d 
e s c C-s C-a C-x C-g C-g <switch-frame> C-x b b a 
s i c <return> M-< C-s C-s C-a C-s d e s c c l a s 
s n a m e C-s C-a M-< C-s t t SPC C-s C-s M-< C-s SPC 
t t C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s M-< <escape> C-g 
C-g C-g <switch-frame> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <options> 
<customize> <customize-apropos> n s - <return> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <wheel-down> 
<double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <wheel-up> 
<double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<down-mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> C-h c H-+ 
<escape> x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return

Recent messages:
Creating group magic...
Creating group state...
Creating group... done
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
Unable to load color "dark blue"
To install your edits, invoke [State] and choose the Set operation
Saving file /Volumes/Users/mlm/home/dotfiles/.emacs.customizations...
Wrote /Volumes/Users/mlm/home/dotfiles/.emacs.customizations
H-+ is undefined

Load-path shadows:
/Users/mlm/home/emacs/xutil hides /Users/mlm/home/local/emacs/xutil
/Users/mlm/home/external/emacs/remember hides /Volumes/App/Editors/Emaxen/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/remember
/Users/mlm/home/emacs/python hides /Volumes/App/Editors/Emaxen/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/python
/Users/mlm/home/external/emacs/timeclock hides /Volumes/App/Editors/Emaxen/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/calendar/timeclock

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader
canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils warnings emacsbug ps-print
ps-def lpr hippie-exp css-mode macros edmacro kmacro image-mode
mule-util ebuff-menu emacs-wiki-macros emacs-wiki-colors
emacs-wiki-project emacs-wiki-publish emacs-wiki-menu emacs-wiki-regexps
emacs-wiki pcomplete nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph
nxml-enc xmltok add-log help-mode view cus-edit debug sh-script
executable etags info eldoc ansi-color browse-url server complete
completion cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs tidy multi-isearch traverselisp derived ehelp
electric hideshow vc-hg tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb
tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util netrc
time-date password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver glasses
filesets desktop recentf tree-widget wid-edit pp noutline outline
easy-mmode dired-x dired-aux dired regexp-opt apropos advice help-fns
advice-preload shell saveplace faces-standard-theme keypad iswitchb grep
delsel cus-start cus-load symutil compile comint ring miscutil cl cl-19
util tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)