Subject: Re: bug#831: 23.0.60; error in nsfonts.m

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 05:29:37 -0500

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:37:14 -0400 Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote: 

GM> Would you mind not using the newsgroup interface? It seems to break
GM> the bug tracker, in that your posts don't appear there (I have
GM> forwarded some there). This is some bug, not your fault.

I'll try to CC correctly.  I have to use that interface, unfortunately.

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote:

>> I used the data member rename patch Austin and others suggested for two
>> days now without problems.  It lets Emacs build on Mac OS X and despite
>> being insufficient as a full fix, at least the users don't have to wait
>> for the full fix to have a working compile.
>> 
>> I comitted this change to the Emacs CVS HEAD, including fixing the
>> references to gidx in the xdisp.c docs, and will back it out (or anyone
>> else can back it out) if it's a problem.

GM> Can you give it the correct attribution in the ChangeLog? Maybe you
GM> came up with it independently, in which case it's correct as is.
GM> I thought it was Daniel Koning's.

There were 2 suggestions plus I looked at it myself (with a `grep
gidx').  I'll gladly attribute it to Daniel but Austin has a claim to
it as well, and I don't know how to do mulitple authors.

>> I apologize in advance if that's the case. All the gidx references
>> are changed to cmp_from, that's all it does.

GM> I left it alone partly because obviously wrong is better than subtly wrong.
GM> (Not that I can say if it is right or wrong).

I figured wrong is OK, broken is not OK for most Emacs users.  Testing
it for 2 days gave me confidence it would not be annoying.

GM> And also partly to see how many duplicate reports were received. :)
GM> About 13 I think, none apart from the first and the one with the patch
GM> conveying any useful information. And most saying "is this known?" :)

GM> (I'm not saying you should take it out.)

OK.  Kenichi Handa thinks it's a lot of work to make it work correctly
with composition, so I think this should be documented as a TODO item.
I don't know the right place to document this; it's not FOR-RELEASE
since it probably won't block a release.

Thanks for all your help with this and other issues.

Ted