Subject: 23.0.60; wrong position of accents in X11

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:18:40 +0200

Hello!

I have a file named

	RGB äöüæÆÜÖÄ.txt

it gets displayed as

The ominous capital C with lowered diaeresis is described as:

         character: O (79, #o117, #x4f)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
        code point: 0x4F
            syntax: w 	which means: word
          category: a:ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983 
[4/0]) l:Latin
		   r:Japanese roman
       buffer code: #x4F
         file code: #x4F (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
           display: by this font (glyph code)
     x:-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-m-60- 
iso10646-1 (#x4F)

Character code properties: customize what to show
   name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O
   general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)

The month name März in a file's date is displayed correctly as Mär.  
Mac OS X 10.4.11, same effect in HFS+ and UFS file systems. Same for  
´, `, ^, and ~ accents.

Emacs.FontBackend:	x
Emacs*font:	-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2008-08-29 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs/caml:/Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site- 
lisp/elib' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/system-openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -bind_at_load  
-H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree- 
vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks- 
and-partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=- 
no-cpp-precomp' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined  
suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   view-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money  
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.
				– Evan Esar