Subject: Re: Emacs should use socklen_t for socket lengths

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:08:35 +0200

> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:38:48 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> Comments by Bruno Haible on the gnulib mailing list
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-03/msg00211.html>
> showed the need for an update to that patch, for the
> benefit of Cygwin and MingW ports.  I've attached it; it
> consists entirely of autogenerated files from Emacs's point
> of view.  This adds a symbol HAVE_WS2TCPIP_H to src/config.in,
> which may need to be configured for MS-DOS and MS-Windows.
> I haven't committed any of this socklen_t stuff to the trunk yet,
> but plan to do so after a bit more testing.

I don't understand Bruno's comments.  He probably thinks that the
Windows build uses the Posix configury, otherwise he would have
realized that, with the single exception of process.c, none of the
patched files is used in the Windows build.

So it looks like all we need to do for the native Windows build is
define socket_t and that's it.  Or did I miss something?

As for the MS-DOS build of Emacs, it does not support networking, and
in fact does not even compile the parts of process.c that are being
changed (it has `subprocesses' undefined).  So this is surely
irrelevant for that port.

I don't know enough about Cygwin to provide any feedback on this.