Subject: Re: bug#8268: Windows Emacs Console persists while running running emacs.exe.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 09:08:00 -0500

Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 4:43 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Something like this?
>>
>> --- i/nt/README.W32
>> +++ w/nt/README.W32
>> @@ -94,6 +94,12 @@ See the end of the file for license conditions.
>> (non-windowed) mode of operation is most useful if you have a telnet
>> server on your machine, allowing you to run Emacs remotely.
>>
>> +* Pinning Emacs to the taskbar (Windows 7 and higher)
>> +
>> + After starting Emacs the first time, pin it to the taskbar, then
>> + edit the properties (via shift-right-click) so that the executable
>> + path to points to runemacs.exe instead of emacs.exe.
>> +
>> * EXE files included
>>
>> Emacs comes with the following executable files in the bin directory.
>
> Yes, though the emacs-25 branch already has something like that in nt/README.W32
>
> + runemacs.exe - A wrapper for running Emacs as a GUI application
> without popping up a command prompt window. If you create a
> desktop shortcut for invoking Emacs, make it point to this
> executable, not to emacs.exe.
>
> It's talking about a desktop shortcut and not the taskbar, but it is
> the same idea. Perhaps change it to "If you create a desktop shortcut
> for invoking Emacs, or pin Emacs to the taskbar, modify the shortcut
> so it points to this executable, not to emacs.exe". Or something like
> that.

If I understand correctly an important difference is that for the
shortcut, you can just create a shortcut to runemacs.exe directly.
Whereas for the taskbar, you have to start emacs first, and only then
modify the path.  That's a bit unintuitive and seems worth calling out
in its own paragraph.