Subject: Re: bug#8268: Windows Emacs Console persists while running running emacs.exe.

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:18:42 +0200

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 12:46, oCameLo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Double click runemacs.exe in the explorer, pin it to the taskbar, then
> right click on the icon, change the target from emacs.exe to
> runemacs.exe, click the icon, everything work fine.

So the shortcut is created from a running instance of emacs.exe.

> Drag runemacs.exe from the explorer to the taskbar, click on it,
> another icon will apply to the taskbar.

And this one is created from the executable.

> The shortcut file (location in C:\Users\[User NAME]\AppData\Roaming
> \Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar) created
> by the 2nd way didn't have a System.AppUserModel.ID property.

Sound quite logical, because the executable isn't associated with the
"GNU.Emacs" ID until it runs and sets it itself.

So this should be documented in nt/README.W32, and perhaps addpm.c
should set the System.AppUserModel.ID property in the shortcuts it
creates.

    Juanma