Subject: Re: bug#8263: [PATCH] Allow == as synonym for = in test

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:14:14 -0600

On 03/21/2011 06:25 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 15/03/11 23:39, David A. Wheeler wrote:
>> The following trivial patch makes GNU coreutils' test recognize "=="
>> as a synonym for "=".  This is already the case in GNU coreutils' expr,
>> bash, ksh, busybox ash, FreeBSD-current /bin/sh and /bin/test, and
>> OpenBSD's /bin/sh.  These are only a few lines, so I don't think
>> any paperwork is needed.  The following implements "==" and documents it.
> 
> Related http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=375
> I'm leaning towards accepting this.
> 
> Note dash does not support ==, nor does older busybox ash.
> dash seem to be waiting for the POSIX acceptance before changing?

Yes, that's my read of the similar thread on the dash list - dash is
waiting for the Austin Group ruling to take place first.  But coreutils
already has several extensions not in dash (it's closer to bash), so we
might as well go with it now.  I'm in favor of this patch.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org