Subject: bug#8250: closed (Re: bug#8250: 23.3; set-backrgound-color sets incorrect color)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8250: 23.3; set-backrgound-color sets incorrect color

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8250: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8250
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8250: 23.3; set-backrgound-color sets incorrect color
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: "David J. Biesack" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:10:30 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Should be fixed now on emacs-23 and will be merged into the trunk
> soon, I suppose.

I'm closing this bug. Please re-open if the fix does not work for you.

    Juanma

Subject: 23.3; set-backrgound-color sets incorrect color
From: "David J. Biesack" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:52:14 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

start

  runemacs -q

In the *scratch* buffer, evaluate any of the following:
(set-background-color "gray10")
(set-background-color "gray20")
(set-background-color "gray30")

this should set the background to a dark gray color. Instead, all
three forms set the background color to a light grey (using an external
color picker shows it to be #BEBEBE). Even (set-background-color "gray90")
sets it to BEBEBE. Other colors work better

(set-background-color "black")
(set-background-color "white")
(set-background-color "blue")

all work. But the failure to honor gray30 or anything close to it
seriously breaks (color-theme-gray30) or similar packages.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  nxhtml-menu-mode: t
  nxhtml-tag-do-also: t
  popcmp-group-alternatives: t
  popcmp-short-help-beside-alts: t
  mlinks-active-links: t
  rngalt-minimal-validation-header: t
  rngalt-display-validation-header: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Recent input:
n C-x <escape> <escape> C-y <return> M-x r e p o r 
t - e m SPC <return>

Recent messages:
No optional library nil [2 times]
Loading sdsenv...done
SDSLOOK=dev/vert-v920m3:dev/vert-d2ft92m301; SDSBOX=devd; SDSTLS=/sasgen/dev/tls-v920m:/sasgen/dev/tls; SDSTLSPC=/sasgen/dev/htls:/sasgen/dev/tls; SDSVER=none; SDSLANG=en; 
Loading transient (compiled; note, source file is newer)...done
Loading c:/djb/emacs/emacs.elc...done
Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID 3708.
Using it may cause conflicts.  Use it anyway? (y or n) 
Desktop file in use; not loaded.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml/related/wikipedia-mode hides c:/djb/emacs/wikipedia-mode
c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml/web-vcs hides c:/djb/emacs/web-vcs
c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml/nxhtml-web-vcs hides c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml-web-vcs
c:/djb/emacs/xml hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/xml
c:/djb/emacs/whitespace hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/whitespace
c:/djb/emacs/wdired hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/wdired
c:/djb/emacs/v20/sort hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/sort
c:/djb/emacs/ls-lisp hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/ls-lisp
c:/djb/emacs/indent hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/indent
c:/djb/emacs/ibuffer hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/ibuffer
c:/djb/emacs/autoinsert hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/autoinsert
c:/djb/emacs/align hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/align
c:/djb/emacs/table hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/textmodes/table
c:/djb/emacs/xscheme hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/xscheme
c:/djb/emacs/sh-script hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/sh-script
c:/djb/emacs/icon hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/icon
c:/djb/emacs/hideshow hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/hideshow
c:/djb/emacs/glasses hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/glasses
c:/djb/emacs/cpp hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cpp
c:/djb/emacs/zone hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/play/zone
c:/djb/emacs/solitaire hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/play/solitaire
c:/djb/emacs/metamail hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/mail/metamail
c:/djb/emacs/trace hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/trace
c:/djb/emacs/re-builder hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/re-builder
c:/djb/emacs/elp hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/elp
c:/djb/emacs/eldoc hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mailabbrev nnheader gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug sdsenv time color-themes
color-theme edmacro kmacro sendmail reporter color-theme-autoloads
cygwin32-mount resizing browse-region-as-html bg shell thing
mosaic-client edit-server server jka-compr-ccrypt jka-compr
andersl-java-font-lock delsel pc-select complete paren iswitchb msb
ascii-conversion javadecomp autobrowse last-mod quickurl browse-url
thingatpt midnight cygwin-mount ange-ftp nxhtml-autostart
nxhtml-autoload moz cc-cmds majmodpri nxhtml-menu udev-rinari udev-ecb
udev flymake-js flymake css-color nxhtml-mode html-quote tidy-xhtml
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff html-imenu imenu loadhist popcmp xhtml-help mlinks
html-toc xml fupd html-pagetoc foldit appmenu-fold appmenu mumamo
sgml-mode rngalt rng-nxml nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-glyph
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok desktop cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs help-mode view flyspell ispell fold-dwim hideshow html-upl
html-site derived ourcomments-util uniquify recentf tree-widget org
byte-opt warnings org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat
org-macs noutline outline ido bookmark pp apropos grep ffip compile
comint ring gimpedit dired regexp-opt web-vcs bytecomp byte-compile rx
url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-auth url-cookie url-util url-parse url-gw url-vars
mm-decode gnus-util netrc mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mm-util time-date mail-prsvr cus-edit
easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl cl-19 web-autoload nxhtml-base
easy-mmode advice help-fns advice-preload tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

-- 
David J. Biesack, SAS
SAS Campus Dr. Cary, NC 27513
www.sas.com    (919) 531-7771