Subject: bug#8250: 23.3; set-backrgound-color sets incorrect color

From: "David J. Biesack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:52:14 -0400

start

  runemacs -q

In the *scratch* buffer, evaluate any of the following:
(set-background-color "gray10")
(set-background-color "gray20")
(set-background-color "gray30")

this should set the background to a dark gray color. Instead, all
three forms set the background color to a light grey (using an external
color picker shows it to be #BEBEBE). Even (set-background-color "gray90")
sets it to BEBEBE. Other colors work better

(set-background-color "black")
(set-background-color "white")
(set-background-color "blue")

all work. But the failure to honor gray30 or anything close to it
seriously breaks (color-theme-gray30) or similar packages.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  nxhtml-menu-mode: t
  nxhtml-tag-do-also: t
  popcmp-group-alternatives: t
  popcmp-short-help-beside-alts: t
  mlinks-active-links: t
  rngalt-minimal-validation-header: t
  rngalt-display-validation-header: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Recent input:
n C-x <escape> <escape> C-y <return> M-x r e p o r 
t - e m SPC <return>

Recent messages:
No optional library nil [2 times]
Loading sdsenv...done
SDSLOOK=dev/vert-v920m3:dev/vert-d2ft92m301; SDSBOX=devd; SDSTLS=/sasgen/dev/tls-v920m:/sasgen/dev/tls; SDSTLSPC=/sasgen/dev/htls:/sasgen/dev/tls; SDSVER=none; SDSLANG=en; 
Loading transient (compiled; note, source file is newer)...done
Loading c:/djb/emacs/emacs.elc...done
Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID 3708.
Using it may cause conflicts.  Use it anyway? (y or n) 
Desktop file in use; not loaded.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml/related/wikipedia-mode hides c:/djb/emacs/wikipedia-mode
c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml/web-vcs hides c:/djb/emacs/web-vcs
c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml/nxhtml-web-vcs hides c:/djb/emacs/nxhtml-web-vcs
c:/djb/emacs/xml hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/xml
c:/djb/emacs/whitespace hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/whitespace
c:/djb/emacs/wdired hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/wdired
c:/djb/emacs/v20/sort hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/sort
c:/djb/emacs/ls-lisp hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/ls-lisp
c:/djb/emacs/indent hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/indent
c:/djb/emacs/ibuffer hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/ibuffer
c:/djb/emacs/autoinsert hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/autoinsert
c:/djb/emacs/align hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/align
c:/djb/emacs/table hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/textmodes/table
c:/djb/emacs/xscheme hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/xscheme
c:/djb/emacs/sh-script hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/sh-script
c:/djb/emacs/icon hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/icon
c:/djb/emacs/hideshow hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/hideshow
c:/djb/emacs/glasses hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/glasses
c:/djb/emacs/cpp hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cpp
c:/djb/emacs/zone hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/play/zone
c:/djb/emacs/solitaire hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/play/solitaire
c:/djb/emacs/metamail hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/mail/metamail
c:/djb/emacs/trace hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/trace
c:/djb/emacs/re-builder hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/re-builder
c:/djb/emacs/elp hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/elp
c:/djb/emacs/eldoc hides c:/gnu/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mailabbrev nnheader gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug sdsenv time color-themes
color-theme edmacro kmacro sendmail reporter color-theme-autoloads
cygwin32-mount resizing browse-region-as-html bg shell thing
mosaic-client edit-server server jka-compr-ccrypt jka-compr
andersl-java-font-lock delsel pc-select complete paren iswitchb msb
ascii-conversion javadecomp autobrowse last-mod quickurl browse-url
thingatpt midnight cygwin-mount ange-ftp nxhtml-autostart
nxhtml-autoload moz cc-cmds majmodpri nxhtml-menu udev-rinari udev-ecb
udev flymake-js flymake css-color nxhtml-mode html-quote tidy-xhtml
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff html-imenu imenu loadhist popcmp xhtml-help mlinks
html-toc xml fupd html-pagetoc foldit appmenu-fold appmenu mumamo
sgml-mode rngalt rng-nxml nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-glyph
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok desktop cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs help-mode view flyspell ispell fold-dwim hideshow html-upl
html-site derived ourcomments-util uniquify recentf tree-widget org
byte-opt warnings org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat
org-macs noutline outline ido bookmark pp apropos grep ffip compile
comint ring gimpedit dired regexp-opt web-vcs bytecomp byte-compile rx
url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-auth url-cookie url-util url-parse url-gw url-vars
mm-decode gnus-util netrc mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mm-util time-date mail-prsvr cus-edit
easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl cl-19 web-autoload nxhtml-base
easy-mmode advice help-fns advice-preload tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

-- 
David J. Biesack, SAS
SAS Campus Dr. Cary, NC 27513
www.sas.com    (919) 531-7771