Subject: bug#8221: closed (Re: bug#8221: 24.0.50; Allowed names for the init file. Windows/POSIX inconsistency)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8221: 24.0.50; Allowed names for the init file. Windows/POSIX inconsistence.

which was filed against the emacs,w32 package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8221: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8221
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8221: 24.0.50; Allowed names for the init file. Windows/POSIX inconsistency
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:22:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 23.4

> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:26:20 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >> On the other hand, and according to the same info node, C:\ is checked
> >> as one possible "home" directory.
> >
> > I think you're reading more that the info node says. What it says is
> > that Emacs is looking for HOME (the environment variable) and if it
> > finds it, it looks there for the "init file". If that fails, it looks
> > for ".emacs" in C:\; and if that fails, it looks for the AppData dir
> > (which is an alternative to HOME, not to C:\). So it is clear (if a
> > bit inconsistent) that looking for .emacs (specifically) on C:\
> > (specifically) is something done just because of back compatibility.
> >
> 
> Yes, I got a bit confused about the exact procedure. Maybe I was
> somewhat biased, but IMO the current wording is a bit confusing:
> >    The home directory is where your init file `.emacs' is stored.  When
> > Emacs starts, it first checks whether the environment variable `HOME'
> > is set.  If it is, it looks for the init file in the directory pointed
> > by `HOME'.  If `HOME' is not defined, Emacs checks for an existing
> > `.emacs' file in `C:\', the root directory of drive `C:'(1).  If
> > there's no such file in `C:\', Emacs next uses the Windows system calls
> > to find out the exact location of your application data directory.  If
> > that system call fails, Emacs falls back to `C:\'.
> 
> That made me think that the principle was (a) Try to find a suitable
> init file in several directories, and (b) Once an init file is found,
> the "home" directory is thereafter established accordingly.
> 
> Thus, I suggest to revise the wording in that node, to avoid this confusion.

I modified the wording of that section, hopefully it's more clear
now.  The full text is below.

I'm closing this bug; feel free to reopen if something is still
unclear.

  @node Windows HOME
  @section HOME and Startup Directories on MS-Windows
  @cindex @code{HOME} directory on MS-Windows

    The Windows equivalent of the @code{HOME} directory is the
  @dfn{user-specific application data directory}.  The actual location
  depends on your Windows version and system configuration; typical values
  are @file{C:\Documents and Settings\@var{username}\Application Data} on
  Windows 2K/XP/2K3, @file{C:\Users\@var{username}\AppData\Roaming} on
  Windows Vista/7/2K8, and either @file{C:\WINDOWS\Application Data}
  or @file{C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\@var{username}\Application Data} on the
  older Windows 9X/ME systems.  If this directory does not exist or
  cannot be accessed, Emacs falls back to @file{C:\} as the default
  value of @code{HOME}.

    You can override this default value of @code{HOME} by explicitly
  setting the environment variable @env{HOME} to point to any directory
  on your system.  @env{HOME} can be set either from the command shell
  prompt or from the @samp{My Computer}s @samp{Properties} dialog.
  @code{HOME} can also be set in the system registry, for details see
  @ref{MS-Windows Registry}.

    For compatibility with older versions of Emacs@footnote{
  Older versions of Emacs didn't check the application data directory.
  }, if there is a file named @file{.emacs} in @file{C:\}, the root
  directory of drive @file{C:}, and @env{HOME} is set neither in the
  environment nor in the Registry, Emacs will treat @file{C:\} as the
  default @code{HOME} location, and will not look in the application
  data directory, even if it exists.  Note that only @file{.emacs} is
  looked for in @file{C:\}; the older name @file{_emacs} (see below) is
  not.  This use of @file{C:\.emacs} to define @code{HOME} is
  deprecated.

    Whatever the final place is, Emacs sets the internal value of the
  @env{HOME} environment variable to point to it, and it will use that
  location for other files and directories it normally looks for or
  creates in the user's home directory.

    You can always find out where Emacs thinks is your home directory's
  location by typing @kbd{C-x d ~/ @key{RET}}.  This should present the
  list of files in the home directory, and show its full name on the
  first line.  Likewise, to visit your init file, type @kbd{C-x C-f
  ~/.emacs @key{RET}} (assuming the file's name is @file{.emacs}).

  @cindex init file @file{.emacs} on MS-Windows
    The home directory is where your init file is stored.  It can have
  any name mentioned in @ref{Init File}.

  @cindex @file{_emacs} init file, MS-Windows
    Because MS-DOS does not allow file names with leading dots, and
  because older Windows systems made it hard to create files with such
  names, the Windows port of Emacs supports an alternative name
  @file{_emacs} as a fallback, if such a file exists in the home
  directory, whereas @file{.emacs} does not.

Subject: 24.0.50; Allowed names for the init file. Windows/POSIX inconsistence.
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:36:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

Hello,

I've been reading the documented behavior of Emacs with respect to the
way it looks for the init file during startup.  This is explained in
the nodes "Init File" (for POSIX systems, I guess) and "Windows HOME" (for
MS Windows platforms).

According to the documentation (and the quick test I've done), we have this:
- On Windows systems, Emacs tries to find the init file by cheking (in
  several paths) for the existence of a file named `.emacs'.
- On POSIX systems, Emacs accepts the following alternatives as init
  file: `~/.emacs', `~/.emacs.el', or `~/.emacs.d/init.el'

So, the question is, why this inconsistence? i.e., why not accept on
Windows the same alternatives for the name of the init file as on
POSIX systems?

For example: Why not accept "<path>\.emacs.d\.init.el" as a valid init
file on Windows? (<path> being _any_ of the directories that Emacs
currently checks for the `.emacs' file)

-- 
Dani Moncayo