Subject: bug#8221: 24.0.50; Allowed names for the init file. Windows/POSIX inconsistency

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 00:35:54 +0100

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 23:59, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So, the question is, why this inconsistence? i.e., why not accept on
>> Windows the same alternatives for the name of the init file as on
>> POSIX systems?
>
> We do.
>

On one hand, it doesn't seem to be the documented behavior in the node
"Windows HOME" of the manual. It refers to the init file as `.emacs',
and says nothing about possible alternatives.

On the other hand, and according to the same info node, C:\ is checked
as one possible "home" directory. Thus, init files such as
"C:\.emacs.el" or "C:\.emacs.d\init.el" should be valid ones. But I've
just tested those two and Emacs don't find them.

-- 
Dani Moncayo