Subject: bug#821: 23.0.60; bootstrap fails due to define-minor-mode in textmode/paragraphs.el

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:04:00 -0400

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> TZ> Loading textmodes/paragraphs.el (source)...
> TZ> Attempt to autoload define-minor-mode while preparing to dump

Your specific problem is that textmodes/paragraphs.el has not been
byte-compiled as it should have been. Can you look into why?

> How frustrating.  I have not done anything unusual on my system, yet
> keep having these compilation problems.  It may be one of the packages
> I've installed interfering with the build process.  I'll think about a
> full reinstall, but how bizarre that it should come to that.

Have you tried a fresh cvs checkout? That should not be necessary
either of course, but is less drastic. :(

> GM> Does this at least mean that bug #327 (the "no rule to make target"
> GM> thing) has gone away?
>
> For a while (until this bug) I was editing ELCFILES and removing the
> contents; the .el files would get compiled with a warning that they were
> not in ELCFILES but otherwise everything worked.  The latest bug is not
> something I can work around, unfortunately, so I'll have to dig deeper
> into the system breakage that's causing the problem.