Subject: Possible bug for df

From: Jesse Molina <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 02:36:31 -0700

The "df" tool will mismatch mounted devices when a specific device 
parameter is specified.

Here's some console output from running df;

[/var/log]
shara@sorrows-->df -h /dev/md5
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md5              2.3T  1.7T  534G  76% /mnt/backup/bak5
[/var/log]
shara@sorrows-->df -h /dev/md5
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                  881M  372K  880M   1% /dev

In the second invocation, the /dev/md5 device had been dismounted, but 
the /dev filesystem is now being matched, when it should not be.

Expected behavior is to get non-zero exit code and print nothing, and/or 
an error on stderr that the device is not found.

Note that this was to be used in a script.  I tried with the -P flag, 
and the behavior is the same, in that the wrong mount is matched.

shara@sorrows-->df --version
df (GNU coreutils) 8.5
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later 
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, and Paul Eggert.

Also FYI

shara@sorrows-->df -v
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/sor--vg1-root
                        8256952   3884136   4288932  48% /
tmpfs                   906132         4    906128   1% /lib/init/rw
udev                    901260       372    900888   1% /dev
tmpfs                   906132         4    906128   1% /dev/shm
/dev/md0                241036    108803    107344  51% /boot
/dev/mapper/sor--vg1-tmp
                        2064208     71112   1888240   4% /tmp
/dev/mapper/sor--vg1-var
                      1906616172 621163644 1266103904  33% /var
/dev/mapper/sor--vg1-var--log
                        4128448   2038268   2090180  50% /var/log

No reply needed.  Sorry if this is duplicate or expected behavior.

-- 
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = [email-masked]
# Page = [email-masked]
# Cell = 1.602.323.7608
# Web  = http://www.opendreams.net/jesse/