Subject: bug#8194: closed (Re: bug#8194: Incorrect frame handling in Gnus)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8194: Incorrect frame handling in Gnus

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8194: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8194
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8194: Incorrect frame handling in Gnus
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:09:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Selecting deleted buffer")
>   switch-to-buffer(#<killed buffer>)
>   gnus-configure-frame((message 70 point) #<window 606 on *Article nnimap+diro:INBOX*>)

[...]

> IIRC (not completely sure my memory is reliable here) the steps that
> lead to it were something along the lines of:
> - in Summary, hit F to reply, which opens up a new frame.
> - back in the Summary frame, use gnus-ephemeral-emacs-bug
> - send the reply opened up earlier.
> - quit the ephemeral group.

I wasn't able to reproduce the bug, but looking at the code, I think
it's clear what's wrong, and I added a test against trying to select the
killed buffer.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Subject: Incorrect frame handling in Gnus
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:26:20 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs,gnus
Version: 24.0.50

I just got the following backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Selecting deleted buffer")
  switch-to-buffer(#<killed buffer>)
  gnus-configure-frame((message 70 point) #<window 606 on *Article nnimap+diro:INBOX*>)
  gnus-configure-frame((vertical 1.0 (message 1.0 point)))
  gnus-configure-windows(reply-yank force)
  gnus-handle-ephemeral-exit((#<buffer *Summary nnimap+diro:INBOX*> . reply-yank))
  gnus-summary-exit()
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit nil nil)

IIRC (not completely sure my memory is reliable here) the steps that
lead to it were something along the lines of:
- in Summary, hit F to reply, which opens up a new frame.
- back in the Summary frame, use gnus-ephemeral-emacs-bug
- send the reply opened up earlier.
- quit the ephemeral group.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2011-02-23 on ceviche
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O1 -I/usr/include/GNUstep' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <left> <down> <right> <left> <right> <right> 
<up> <up> <up> <right> <down> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> M-j 
C-a <return> <return> <return> <up> <up> L e ' t <backspace> 
<backspace> t ' s SPC f i r s t SPC s e e SPC <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> M-x g n - e m <backspace> <backspace> b u 
g - = e m <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e m a 
<tab> <M-backspace> C-/ M-b M-t <tab> <return> <return> 
<select-window> <return> <select-window> <select-window> 
n N N N <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> N N P 
N N N N <switch-frame> w h a t SPC A l a n SPC h a 
s SPC t o SPC s a y SPC a b o u t SPC i t . <up> <left> 
<right> <up> <left> <right> <up> <up> <left> <right> 
<up> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-k I ' d SPC l i k e SPC t o SPC k n 
o w SPC w h a t SPC A l a n SPC t h i n k s SPC a b 
o u t SPC i t . <return> <up> <up> <up> <left> <right> 
<down> <left> <right> <down> <down> <left> <right> 
<down> <down> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> 
<up> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <right> <right> 
<return> A g r e e d . <return> <return> <return> M-i 
S t e f a n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-c C-c <select-window> 
<select-window> q M-x r e p o - e m - b u <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Wrote /tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE
Opening nndoc server on /tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE-ephemeral...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nndoc+/tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE-ephemeral:gnus-read-ephemeral-bug...
Fetching headers for nndoc+/tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE-ephemeral:gnus-read-ephemeral-bug...done
Generating summary...done
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(emacsbug nndoc url-http url-gw url-auth thai-util thai-word rect debug
xscheme trace testcover scheme unsafep re-builder shadow inf-lisp ielm
comint ring elp edebug cust-print vc-bzr filecache find-func dabbrev
woman tutorial help-macro man info-look info help-at-pt ehelp apropos
cus-edit cus-start cus-load diff-mode jka-compr gnus-dup multi-isearch
nnfolder canlock sha1 hex-util gnus-fun gnus-html browse-url xml
url-cache mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util pp supercite regi mule-util flow-fill
sort smiley ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnimap parse-time utf7 executable
copyright nnagent nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp proto-stream starttls tls gnus-cache nnir
gnus-sum macroexp nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
format-spec server gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit noutline outline
easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode
easymenu view prog-mode electric url-handlers url-parse auth-source
warnings eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile assoc netrc gnus-util
time-date password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal autoinsert
uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload savehist minibuf-eldef cl
cl-loaddefs proof-site proof-autoloads pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page newcomment menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)