Subject: bug#8194: Incorrect frame handling in Gnus

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:26:20 -0500

Package: emacs,gnus
Version: 24.0.50

I just got the following backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Selecting deleted buffer")
  switch-to-buffer(#<killed buffer>)
  gnus-configure-frame((message 70 point) #<window 606 on *Article nnimap+diro:INBOX*>)
  gnus-configure-frame((vertical 1.0 (message 1.0 point)))
  gnus-configure-windows(reply-yank force)
  gnus-handle-ephemeral-exit((#<buffer *Summary nnimap+diro:INBOX*> . reply-yank))
  gnus-summary-exit()
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit nil nil)

IIRC (not completely sure my memory is reliable here) the steps that
lead to it were something along the lines of:
- in Summary, hit F to reply, which opens up a new frame.
- back in the Summary frame, use gnus-ephemeral-emacs-bug
- send the reply opened up earlier.
- quit the ephemeral group.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2011-02-23 on ceviche
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O1 -I/usr/include/GNUstep' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <left> <down> <right> <left> <right> <right> 
<up> <up> <up> <right> <down> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> M-j 
C-a <return> <return> <return> <up> <up> L e ' t <backspace> 
<backspace> t ' s SPC f i r s t SPC s e e SPC <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> M-x g n - e m <backspace> <backspace> b u 
g - = e m <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e m a 
<tab> <M-backspace> C-/ M-b M-t <tab> <return> <return> 
<select-window> <return> <select-window> <select-window> 
n N N N <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> N N P 
N N N N <switch-frame> w h a t SPC A l a n SPC h a 
s SPC t o SPC s a y SPC a b o u t SPC i t . <up> <left> 
<right> <up> <left> <right> <up> <up> <left> <right> 
<up> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-k I ' d SPC l i k e SPC t o SPC k n 
o w SPC w h a t SPC A l a n SPC t h i n k s SPC a b 
o u t SPC i t . <return> <up> <up> <up> <left> <right> 
<down> <left> <right> <down> <down> <left> <right> 
<down> <down> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> 
<up> <left> <right> <down> <left> <right> <right> <right> 
<return> A g r e e d . <return> <return> <return> M-i 
S t e f a n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> C-c C-c <select-window> 
<select-window> q M-x r e p o - e m - b u <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Wrote /tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE
Opening nndoc server on /tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE-ephemeral...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nndoc+/tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE-ephemeral:gnus-read-ephemeral-bug...
Fetching headers for nndoc+/tmp/monnier/gnus-temp-group-18909QwE-ephemeral:gnus-read-ephemeral-bug...done
Generating summary...done
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(emacsbug nndoc url-http url-gw url-auth thai-util thai-word rect debug
xscheme trace testcover scheme unsafep re-builder shadow inf-lisp ielm
comint ring elp edebug cust-print vc-bzr filecache find-func dabbrev
woman tutorial help-macro man info-look info help-at-pt ehelp apropos
cus-edit cus-start cus-load diff-mode jka-compr gnus-dup multi-isearch
nnfolder canlock sha1 hex-util gnus-fun gnus-html browse-url xml
url-cache mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util pp supercite regi mule-util flow-fill
sort smiley ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnimap parse-time utf7 executable
copyright nnagent nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp proto-stream starttls tls gnus-cache nnir
gnus-sum macroexp nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
format-spec server gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit noutline outline
easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode
easymenu view prog-mode electric url-handlers url-parse auth-source
warnings eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile assoc netrc gnus-util
time-date password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal autoinsert
uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload savehist minibuf-eldef cl
cl-loaddefs proof-site proof-autoloads pg-vars bbdb-autoloads agda2
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page newcomment menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)