Subject: bug#819: closed by Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> (bug#819: 23.0.60; group and owner "Everyone" - what's that about?)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:56:09 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:38:06 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> The code that reports user and group IDs uses fallbacks for when the
> file security syscalls fail.  The fallback is to attribute the files
> to the user who runs Emacs.  On FAT32 volumes the syscalls fail, so
> what you see is our best shot on reporting something sensible.

Actually, I take that back: these syscalls should NOT fail on FAT32.
You should see "Everyone" for each file and directory on FAT32.  The
fact that you see your username means that something causes the
file-security syscalls to fail.  Perhaps that's the same problem as
the one reported by Juanma a few days ago (on NTFS).  We will see when
I debug that one.

> I don't see that on FAT32 volume to which I have access.

This part is still true.