Subject: bug#8184: closed (Re: bug#8184: 23.1.90; `menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p' error in calls to `kill-this-buffer')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8184: 23.1.90; `menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p' error in calls to `kill-this-buffer'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8184: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8184
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8184: 23.1.90; `menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p' error in calls to `kill-this-buffer'
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: tlh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:12:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument frame-live-p #<dead frame *Help* 0x100d1e930>)
 >   frame-selected-window(#<dead frame *Help* 0x100d1e930>)
 >   menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p()
 >   kill-this-buffer()
 >   call-interactively(kill-this-buffer nil nil)

Emacs now in this case doesn't do anything when the associated frame is
not live or visible.  Bug closed.

martin

Subject: 23.1.90; `menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p' error in calls to `kill-this-buffer'
From: tlh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 23:28:31 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

`menu-updating-frame' is pointing to a dead frame, causing a
`frame-live-p' error in `menu-bar-non-minibuffer-p' when I call
`kill-this-buffer'.  I don't how it got out of sync, but it seems to me
that `kill-this-buffer' shouldn't be in menu-bar.el -- or depend on
menu-bar-specific code -- in the first place.

Backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument frame-live-p #<dead frame *Help* 0x100d1e930>)
  frame-selected-window(#<dead frame *Help* 0x100d1e930>)
  menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p()
  kill-this-buffer()
  call-interactively(kill-this-buffer nil nil)

In GNU Emacs 23.1.90.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.32)
 of 2010-07-17 on ridley.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  kvdb-mode: t
  recs-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  workgroups-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-highlight-nicknames-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
l l t h i s SPC f u C-a C-H-f C-H-f C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n M-f M-f M-< C-s n o n - m i n i b u f f e r - w 
i n d o w - p C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-a C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-e M-b M-f C-c C-e C-H-f C-H-p 
M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b M-f M-f 
M-b M-b M-b M-b C-h C-h t h e SPC v a r SPC ` M-f - 
f r a m e ' M-d M-> <return> I t ' s SPC f u n n y 
! <return> C-H-f C-H-f C-H-p H-P H-P H-P H-P H-P H-P 
H-P H-P H-P H-P H-P H-P H-P M-> C-z C-j C-p H-P H-P 
M-> H-P H-P M-> H-P H-P H-P M-> C-x RET b u g - r e 
p o C-g C-x RET r e p o r t <return> C-g C-H-f C-H-k 
C-z RET C-b C-H-k H-P H-P H-P C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p q C-x b <return> C-l C-l C-l C-l C-l C-p C-l C-a 
M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f C-c C-e C-H-f C-x RET r 
e p o r t <return> m e n u - u p d a t i n g - f r 
a m e SPC c a u s C-h C-h C-h C-h M-b M-b M-b o u t 
- o f - s y n c C-h C-h C-h y n c SPC C-e c a u s i 
n g SPC e r r o r s SPC C-h C-h C-h C-h C-h C-h C-h 
C-g C-H-f C-H-k q C-x RET r e p o r <return>

Recent messages:
Mark set [5 times]
Quit [2 times]
menu-bar-non-minibuffer-window-p: Wrong type argument: frame-live-p, #<dead frame *Help* 0x100d1e930>
Debug on Error enabled globally
Entering debugger...
Back to top level.
#<dead frame *Help* 0x100d1e930>
Quit
Entering debugger...
Back to top level.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/luke/emacs/site-lisp/emms/lisp/tq hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug jka-compr find-func info debug cus-start
cus-load warnings compile erc-services erc-log newcomment multi-isearch
vc-git whitespace tlh-startup ansi-color em-unix em-script em-ls em-hist
em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-basic esh-opt em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell em-banner em-cmpl
em-term term disp-table ehelp electric em-prompt esh-module esh-mode
esh-util help-mode view tlh-registers tlh-keys tlh-alias tlh-system
tlh-osx tlh-mode ascii-table breadcrumb edit-server goto-last-change
malyon malyon-mode zone tabify undo-tree yaoddmuse url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util
url-parse url-vars skeleton sgml-mode google-define w3m-load
clojure-mode slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-scratch slime-presentations slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-inspector
slime-parse slime-editing-commands slime-banner slime-asdf slime-repl
slime apropos hideshow hyperspec browse-url slime-autoloads diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs midnight tramp-imap
imap-hash imap message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader
canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish
tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util
netrc shell password-cache tramp-compat trampver tls kvdb org-table org
org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs noutline
outline pickel epa-file epa derived epg epg-config uniquify recs-mode
imenu byte-opt browse-kill-ring advice help-fns advice-preload windmove
saveplace recentf tree-widget bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone paren
color-theme-thunk1 color-theme workgroups tlh-notify tlh-sound tlh-erc
erc-menu erc-join erc-ring comint ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete
time-date pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-netsplit
erc-highlight-nicknames easy-mmode erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp
wid-edit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec thingatpt pp
tlh-emms edmacro kmacro emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-cache emms-mode-line-icon emms-mode-line
emms-info-id3v2 emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file dired emms emms-compat tlh-ido ido
tlh-init delsel regexp-opt image-file autorevert yow cookie1 server
tlh-util cl cl-19 bytecomp byte-compile tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)