Subject: Re: bug#8181: closed (Re: bug#8181: Patch to fix bug#8181: 23.2; Dired on Windows 7)

From: "Robert I. Eachus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:58:12 -0500

On 3/7/2011 4:19 PM, GNU bug Tracking System wrote:
> Your bug report
>
> #8181: 23.2; Dired on Windows 7
>
> which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.
Good and fast work by all.  But I still have my original question.  Why 
is the behavior different from Cx d which it lists as an equivalent?  I 
can see that having access to a Windows dialog box can be useful for 
things like recently visited directories, so the ability to access the 
Microsoft dialog boxes is nice.  I had assumed that Visit New File... 
gave the same result as C-x C-f, and Open File.., with no keyboard 
equivalent went through the the Windows menuing system.  It wasn't until 
now that I found out they were the same.   (I started in computing well 
before terminals with displays and windowing systems were common, and I 
have been using Emacs for over 30 years.  So by the time I conclude  I 
want to open a file or directory, I'm typing its name in the 
minibuffer.  (Unless, apparently, I have a hot cup of tea in my left 
hand. ;-)