Subject: Re: bug#8181: 23.2; Dired on Windows 7

From: Ben Key <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 10:19:19 -0600

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Has Microsoft changed the names of these fields in Windows 7, or is it
> some new "security" feature getting in the way of changing this dialog
> programmatically?
>

Hello,

Note that a patch to fix the issue has already been submitted by my and
improved upon by Juanma Barranquero.  See the messages <
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-03/msg00270.html>  and
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-03/msg00269.html> for
more details.

The cause of the problem that prevented Emacs from being able to set the
initial value of the file name text field was a result of the fact that the
code that processes the lpstrFile member of the OPENFILENAME structure to
set the initial value of the window is now called after the CDN_INITDONE
WM_NOTIFY message is processed.  Since lpstrFile was set to an empty string,
this caused the text to be removed from the window after it was set.  The
fix for that was to set lpstrFile to "Current Directory" in the only_dir_p
case.

The cause of the problem that caused Emacs to be unable to disable the edit
window was simply a change in the window hierarchy of the File Open dialog
box since the bad old Windows 95 days.

The patches resolve both issues.  Note that only the latest patch by Juanma
Barranquero should be committed.