Subject: Re: bug#8181: 23.2; Dired on Windows 7

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 21:28:48 +0100

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 17:04, Ben Key <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I consider the fact that it is necessary to change the selected item in the
> "Files of Type" combo box to "All Files (*.*)" and back to "Directories"
> before you can successfully select a directory (at least on Windows 7) to be
> a bug.

It is definitely a bug, yes. Or perhaps two; I've been stepping
through file_dialog_callback and I see two problems.

One is the fact that the initial setting of FILE_NAME_TEXT_FIELD does
not work. WM_NOTIFY is received with the appropriate arguments, and
CommDlg_OpenSave_SetControlText (at w32fns.c:5875) is called, but it
apparently has no effect. Perhaps some order-of-initialization issue
that's changed (undocumentedly) on Windows 7?

The other is that GetDlgItem (dialog, FILE_NAME_TEXT_FIELD) is
returning always 0, so the EnableWindow calls are no-ops (in fact,
that's easy to see because after setting the combo to "Directories",
you can still edit the text field).

I'm seeing these problems in Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, BTW.

    Juanma