Subject: bug#8181: 23.2; Dired on Windows 7

From: "Robert I. Eachus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 19:40:34 -0500

On 3/5/2011 7:08 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Robert I. Eachus<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> Choosing Open Directory from the File menu opens a standard (Windows 7)
>> window that allows you to walk the directory tree, but there is no way
>> to open a directory in dired mode that I can find.  Cx d on the other
>> hand opens an emacs buffer in dired mode. (Normal behavior)
> See `use-file-dialog'

Thanks for the quick answer, but I think you may be missing the point.  
First the File menu choice Open Directory, says that the keyboard 
equivalent is C-x d.  But the two are completely different in behavior.  
Second, if you do use the menu option, there is no way to select a 
directory, even though you can navigate through them.

I ran into this by accident, browsing through a large C source library.  
I used Cx d nine times (or a dozen) before I went to use the menu since 
I had a cup in my left hand.  I then wanted to see if I would get a 
dired buffer when I selected a directory, but instead I found that there 
is either no way to select a directory, or the choice gets silently lost.

It is not a big deal for me. Even if I am drinking something hot,  I can 
type Cx d with my right hand.  If nothing gets done I may submit a fix 
sometime when I am not in the process of digesting the source of a 
different application.