Subject: bug#8165: cperl-mode: The wanted indentation is available via customize

From: Harald Jörg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 20:15:52 +0200

On 9/1/20 7:12 PM, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Harald Jörg <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Therefore I suggest to close this bug.
> 
> Done.
> 
> You can just add -done to the bug number in the address if you would
> like to do it yourself next time.  See the To-field of this message.

Thank you for this hint.  I wasn't aware of that.

>> These are also the recommended settings in the most influential book
>> Perl Best Practices (PBP) by Damian Conway.  I guess I should add
>> the PBP settings for indentation in a new value to cperl-style-alist,
>> but that's probably beyond the scope of this bug report.
> 
> It sounds like a good idea to add such an option.
> 
> Just a thought: I seem to remember that the PBP recommendations is the
> generally accepted style in the Perl community these days?  Does it make
> sense to change that to be the default?  (It's been over 10 years since
> I did any serious Perl programming...)

I would be absolutely fine with making the PBP recommendations the
default.   By now, the book is 13 years old and some of its content
is no longer generally accepted - but as far as I can say, the
indentation rules haven't seen any criticism.  And though Damian is
a vim wizard, his book lists the Emacs variables which match his
recommendations - and it is still available for download from
O'Reilly.

Different indentation styles seem to be also present in perl-mode, but
only in the mode's documentation - there's no command to switch all
variables which customize indentation in one go.  Since the set of
available options is different anyway, I guess I can get away with
adding the new option to cperl-mode only.
-- 
Cheers,
haj