Subject: Re: bug#8159: file-name-sans-version fails for some git files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:36:35 -0500

> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:02:53 +0000
> From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On 3 March 2011 03:58, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 22:31:12 +0000
> >> From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
> >> Cc:
> >>
> >> filenames like foo.js.~HEAD~1~ aren't handled properly because of the
> >> internal tilde.
> >
> > What would be the "proper" handling of such a file name?  What is the
> > "version" here?
> 
> The version is HEAD~1, so the only difference from supported version
> formats is the internal tilde.

If you don't want the version to be "~1~", then I guess this is okay.
It wasn't clear from your original message that you don't consider
this form a numbered backup file.

> I can't see (yet) how this doesn't work with backup file names. In
> particular, it can't be mistaken for a numbered backup file, since it
> doesn't end `.~%d~'; on the other hand, both the simple backup suffix
> ~ and numeric backups suffix `.~%d~' are still correctly stripped by
> my modified file-name-sans-versions.

If you are okay with having foo.js~ as a simple backup file name of
foo.js.~HEAD~1~ and foo.js.~3~ as its numbered backup, then I see no
issues here.  I just wonder if that would surprise git users (I don't
use it too much, so I don't know).