Subject: bug#8159: file-name-sans-version fails for some git files

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:02:53 +0000

On 3 March 2011 03:58, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 22:31:12 +0000
>> From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
>> Cc:
>>
>> filenames like foo.js.~HEAD~1~ aren't handled properly because of the
>> internal tilde.
>
> What would be the "proper" handling of such a file name?  What is the
> "version" here?

The version is HEAD~1, so the only difference from supported version
formats is the internal tilde.

I can't see (yet) how this doesn't work with backup file names. In
particular, it can't be mistaken for a numbered backup file, since it
doesn't end `.~%d~'; on the other hand, both the simple backup suffix
~ and numeric backups suffix `.~%d~' are still correctly stripped by
my modified file-name-sans-versions.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org