Subject: bug#8158: Definition of auto-mode-alist

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:43:16 +0000

On 3 March 2011 00:30, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 2 March 2011 23:42, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> On 2 March 2011 23:39, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes, you have missed it. I wrote majmodpri.el to get around the
>>>>> problem that some elisp files added things to auto-mode-alist.
>>>>
>>>> So, are you saying that elisp files with non-centralized settings
>>>> which are part of Emacs were causing you problems?
>>>
>>> Not me, but a lot of other people.
>>
>> Sorry, let me try again.
>>
>> Are you saying that elisp files shipped as part of Emacs, with
>> non-centralized settings, were causing your users problems?
>
> No. It is only with third party files I have seen the problem (since
> files shipped with Emacs currently does not change auto-mode-alist
> when they are loaded).

Right, but Emacs does not have fully centralized settings. (Many modes
set their own auto-mode-alist entries.) So changing things within
Emacs does not affect your problem.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org