Subject: bug#8158: Definition of auto-mode-alist

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 00:39:18 +0100

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> As I said in a previous message the user must be given some simple
>> control of this. In my opinion that means that some way to prioritize
>> must be used, please see my previous message.
>
> The user already has a way to prioritize, by removing or adding
> elements of auto-mode-alist as they see fit, in their .emacs or
> equivalent. When this is run, emacs has already initialised
> auto-mode-alist from autoloads, so they will not disturb the user's
> settings.
>
>> That would allow for
>> decentralized additions to auto-mode-alist (but you seem to have
>> missed that point?).
>
> I may have missed the point, but as far as I can see, everything you
> want to do can be achieved with the current system, and decentralising
> the initialisation of auto-mode-alist would not change that: I have no
> problems with my auto-mode-alist from modes whose settings are not
> centralised.

Yes, you have missed it. I wrote majmodpri.el to get around the
problem that some elisp files added things to auto-mode-alist. I got
some bug reports for nXhtml from some of those users.