Subject: Re: bug#8158: Definition of auto-mode-alist

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 23:21:31 +0000

On 2 March 2011 23:14, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> So you mean that the insertion into auto-mode-alist should be done by
> autoloading? I think that is too fragile since it will depend on how
> modules are loading.

I am only saying that this is what seems to happen at the moment, and
I have no problem with it.

> As I said in a previous message the user must be given some simple
> control of this. In my opinion that means that some way to prioritize
> must be used, please see my previous message.

The user already has a way to prioritize, by removing or adding
elements of auto-mode-alist as they see fit, in their .emacs or
equivalent. When this is run, emacs has already initialised
auto-mode-alist from autoloads, so they will not disturb the user's
settings.

> That would allow for
> decentralized additions to auto-mode-alist (but you seem to have
> missed that point?).

I may have missed the point, but as far as I can see, everything you
want to do can be achieved with the current system, and decentralising
the initialisation of auto-mode-alist would not change that: I have no
problems with my auto-mode-alist from modes whose settings are not
centralised.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org