Subject: Re: bug#8122: 23.2.94; (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) changes indentation behavior for emacsclient

From: Steve Revilak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:57:38 -0500

>If you start the Emacs daemon like this:
>
> emacs  -Q --eval "(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)" --daemon
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^
>the problem goes away.

Eli,

As you suggested, I tried changing (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) to
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix).  Indeed, that makes the problem go
away.

>I propose the following change to fix this:
>
>--- lisp/international/mule-cmds.el~0	2011-01-08 12:45:14.000000000 -0500
>+++ lisp/international/mule-cmds.el	2011-02-26 11:32:22.483284753 -0500
>@@ -368,7 +368,8 @@
> 		 (coding-system-get coding-system 'ascii-compatible-p)))
> 	(setq default-file-name-coding-system coding-system)))
>   (setq default-terminal-coding-system coding-system)
>-  (setq default-keyboard-coding-system coding-system)
>+  (setq default-keyboard-coding-system
>+	(coding-system-change-eol-conversion coding-system 'unix))
>   ;; Preserve eol-type from existing default-process-coding-systems.
>   ;; On non-unix-like systems in particular, these may have been set
>   ;; carefully by the user, or by the startup code, to deal with the

I tested this patch on my system (with "(prefer-coding-system
'utf-8)").  It works.

Thanks for the speedy fix!

Steve