Subject: bug#8104: automake suggests use of AC_PROG_LIBTOOL, this has been replaced by LT_INIT

From: Jack Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:00:54 +1100

Version: 1.11.1 (ubuntu 10.10). I have inspected the most recent
master and it appears to also have this bug.

configure.ac:
AC_INIT([a], [b], [c])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])
dnl no LT_INIT -- on purpose
AC_PROG_CC
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

Makefile.am:
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la

Run autoreconf -i:
$ autoreconf -i
Makefile.am:1: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
Makefile.am:1:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
Makefile.am:1:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
Makefile.am:1:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
Makefile.am:1:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

See the libtool manual (
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/LT_005fINIT.html
):
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and AM_PROG_LIBTOOL are deprecated names for older
versions of this macro; autoupdate will upgrade your configure.ac
files.

It appears that automake's message is out of date.

-- Jack