Subject: 24.0.50; `isearch-search-fun-function'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:10:30 -0800

Doc string is broken:
 
"Override `isearch-search-fun'.
This function should return the search function for Isearch to use.
It will call this function with three arguments
as if it were `search-forward'."
 
First line is incorrect.  It overrides the default search function which
is used by `isearch-search-string', but it does not override
`isearch-search-fun'. It is *called* from `isearch-search-fun', so it
certainly cannot override it.
 
The biggest problem is the last sentence.  "It will call this function"
What is "IT"?  What is "THIS FUNCTION"?  And why mention
`search-forward' here?  Very confusing, if not downright incorrect.
 
Make it clear that this var's value is a function that is called with NO
ARGS and whose return value should be a function of the SAME THREE ARGS
as `isearch-search-string'.  That returned function will be used by
`isearch-search-string' to "search for the first occurrence of STRING or
its translation."
 
Further, the doc string of `isearch-search-fun' should also say that the
function returned accepts the same three args as `isearch-search-string'
- and so on.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-02-14 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'