Subject: Re: bug#810: 23.0.60; atomic-change-group narrowing problem

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 23:53:06 +0200

martin rudalics wrote:
>>>> When using atomic-change-group I got the message
>>>> undo-more: Changes to be undone are outside visible portion of buffer
>>>> The changes are also not undone. This seems wrong to me.
>>
>>> The attached patch now also tries to restore any narrowing in force
>>> before the atomic change.
>>
>> I'm not sure we should do that.  Currently, narrowing operations are not
>> saved to the undo-log, so making atomic-change-group save&restore the
>> narrowing makes it behave differently from the undo.
> 
> I know what you mean but the present case is different.  When someone
> uses narrowing within the atomic change group and we really want to undo
> the changes (we still can decide that we won't fix the bug ;-)) we have
> to widen the buffer.  If the buffer was narrowed _before_ entering the
> atomic change group, it would be incorrect not to restore that.  Or am I
> missing something?

I agree. It would be very surprising if narrowing was not restored.