Subject: Re: bug#810: 23.0.60; atomic-change-group narrowing problem

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 23:20:29 +0200

>>> When using atomic-change-group I got the message
 >>> undo-more: Changes to be undone are outside visible portion of buffer
 >>> The changes are also not undone. This seems wrong to me.
 >
 >> The attached patch now also tries to restore any narrowing in force
 >> before the atomic change.
 >
 > I'm not sure we should do that.  Currently, narrowing operations are not
 > saved to the undo-log, so making atomic-change-group save&restore the
 > narrowing makes it behave differently from the undo.

I know what you mean but the present case is different.  When someone
uses narrowing within the atomic change group and we really want to undo
the changes (we still can decide that we won't fix the bug ;-)) we have
to widen the buffer.  If the buffer was narrowed _before_ entering the
atomic change group, it would be incorrect not to restore that.  Or am I
missing something?

martin