Subject: bug#8099: LaTeX and automake

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 00:39:13 +0000

On 27 February 2011 14:42, Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Well yes.  Also, as you already mentioned, latex semantics don't really
> fit a directed graph where the nodes are files; rather, it needs a more
> complex diagram of states of sets of files.  I don't think trying to map
> that to portable make would be a worthwhile endeavor, given that latexmk
> already exists.  I think we should just try to find rules that are safe
> in the sense of: they call out to latexmk when needed, and not too often
> when it is not needed.

So I was thinking, latexmk could output a list of dependent files for
a given root file, and Make simply calls latexmk when any of them
changes.

> That could be an improvement.  Or, as a first step, just calling latexmk
> every time.  Does it do anything if files are up to date?

No, which is a good start!

> Do you happen to know if latexmk works with pgfplots?

It doesn't seem to know about it.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org