Subject: bug#8076: PCH support / howto

From: Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:08:53 +0100

severity 8076 wishlist
thanks

Hello Olaf,

* Olaf van der Spek wrote on Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:53:19PM CET:
> > I just read http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Examples
> > but didn't find anything on PCH.
> > Would it be possible to include a 'Hello World' style use of PCH?
> 
> Somebody?

Automake does not currently provide support for PCH out of the box.
Sorry.  There have been several discussions about this on the automake
lists.  Let me point to some informative posts:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/5467/focus=5504
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/11619/focus=11628
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/3098/focus=3108
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/4099

I will probably not hack on this myself (both due to time constraints
and IMVHO limited portability/usefulness of PCH), but if somebody else
wants to pursue it, I'd help.  The above discussions can give some
insight into the issues around this.

Hope this helps.  If you have a good solution, even if it's just for
your project, feel free to post it here; we can link to it from the
FAQ or so, or even put it in the manual if it is sufficiently general.

Thanks,
Ralf