Subject: bug#806 closed by [email-masked] (RE: overlay display artifact: trace left behind)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#806: overlay display artifact: trace left behind

It has been closed by [email-masked].

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact [email-masked] by
replying to this email.

-- 
806: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=806
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Tue Dec  9 18:16:59 2008
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 02:16:50 +0000
From: [email-masked]
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: overlay display artifact: trace left behind

Quoting Drew Adams <[email-masked]>:

> No, I don't see the problem anymore.

Thanks, closing the report.

>From [email-masked] Wed Aug 27 13:37:56 2008
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: quiet <[email-masked]>
Subject: overlay display artifact: trace left behind
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:36:23 -0400

Package: emacs,w32

(Filing a report for old item from FOR-RELEASE.)

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-08/msg00439.html

Initial report (todo: verify new font backend eliminates this and other
Cleartype related problems):

    1. emacs -Q

    2. Load this file: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mouse%2b.el

    3. Customize this face to have a red foreground:
    `mouse-flash-position'. (The default, yellow, is not very visible
    against an emacs -Q background.)

    4. M-: (global-set-key [down-mouse-2] 'mouse-flash-position)

    5. Select some text (e.g. a word), for yanking elsewhere.

    6. Put the mouse on some line of text. Press `mouse-2' and hold it
    pressed. Move the mouse along the text without releasing the button.
    Release it to finish the yank.

    When you press `mouse-2', the yank position is highlighted. When you
    move the mouse, the highlight moves with the mouse. But vestigial
    overlay traces are left behind.