Subject: bug#8054: 24.0.50; Who ever heard of a version number that doesn't change all year?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:04:42 +1100

Would it not be possible to add a script that could be used by configure to
check for the .bzr directory and if it exists, extract the value from the
branch/last-revision file and use that value to either append to the version or
set some other variable. If the .bzr directory does not exist, set it to nil or
'unknown' or something?

This would have the advantage of linking the revison number to the final build,
eliminating differences that depend on whether the code is run from the install
directory or installed somewhere else. 

Tim

P.S. or alternatively, update the text presented in report-emacs-bug to
encourage people to include the bzr revno if they are running from bzr sources
and explain how to get this value

-- 
Tim Cross
[email-masked]

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they 
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.