Subject: bug#8050: Gnus does not connect to my IMAP server any more

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 13:34:06 -0500

> I added `auth-source-read-char-choice' to do the prompting.  It will use
> `read-char-choice' opportunistically and construct the a/b/c prompt
> supplement automatically.

Good.

> If you want me to modify `y-or-n-p' to use `read-char-choice' let me
> know and I'll submit a patch.

That would be a good change, yes, please.

>>> I really like the way dropdown-list.el does selection (see
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/dropdown-list.el, "overlays stolen
>>> from company-mode.el").  It shows the list of choices inside the buffer
>>> as a true popup.  To me that looks much better than y-or-n-p if the
>>> terminal supports it.  If Emacs doesn't have anything similar, I think
>>> it's a nice addition to the core UI functionality.  Let me know and I'll
>>> propose it on emacs-devel if necessary.

SM> I don't know what that would look like in your y/n/N/e/? case.

> Try (dropdown-list '("choose one: y" "............n" "............N"))
> since that's how it will look with the new
> `auth-source-char-read-choice' function.

Hmm... I'm not sure it's an improvement over the simple
"y/n/N/e/?" prompt.  For completions and other cases where the total
text is too long to fit on a single line, such a dropdown-list can make
sense, but for this particular case it just reminds of me people using
tons of different typefaces in Word document.

        Stefan