Subject: Re: bug#8050: Gnus does not connect to my IMAP server any more

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 15:13:53 -0500

The saga continues:

Now I'm not asked for a host name and a port any more (just realized in
the mean time that those questions were not only unexpected but even
subtler than I thought since they're not about how/where to connect (the
connection is already established at that point) but about which
password to use).  Good.

- But when I'm asked for a user name there is no default, whereas earlier
  my local user name was used as default (which happens to work for me on
  most of the machines to which I can connect).  Please use the local user
  name as default in that prompt.

- Also when I'm then asked for a password, the prompt says "Password for
  user foo, host bar" which is more verbose but not more clear than
  "Password for foo@bar" used in earlier Gnus.

- I'm asked whether to save the password regardless of whether the
  password and user names are correct or not.  That's really bad.

- When I was asked whether to save my password, the cursor was not shown in
  the prompt, which looked weird.  Maybe it was a temporary redisplay
  problem (I hit `n' mechanically pretty quickly, so maybe Emacs didn't
  have time to display the cursor).
  
- If the connection fails (e.g. bad password or bad user name), I don't
  get asked again, instead Gnus continues in offline mode.

- After refusing to save the password in authinfo.gpg, I get a message
  along the lines of "auth-source-search: CREATED 1 results ...".
  I don't care whether "results" is replaced by "result" when there's
  only 1, but this looks like a debug message which should disappear.
  Usually, I'd assume it is just a forgotten debug message, but given
  the atrocious prompts I've seen in this thread, I'm a bit
  more cautious.

-- Stefan