Subject: bug#8050: Gnus does not connect to my IMAP server any more

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:29:36 -0800

Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:

> You may want to edit the line in case you want to change it before it's
> written.  Lars also thought this was not good but I feel strongly this
> is useful functionality and it's not too intrusive.

I think it's definitely too intrusive.

The question that's relevant is "do you want to save the password?"
That's the only thing a normal user could possibly be interested in, and
it's a yes or no question.

Asking the user to "e"-dit the netrc line would be for Gnus to prompt
the user on `C-c C-c' "do you want to (s)end the message or (e)dit the
MIME representation of the message before sending?"  The latter is only
interesting for people who are implementing the MIME encoding, and not
any user.  The same goes for the .netrc stuff.

If you want to add a debugging mode to auth-source that allows you to
edit the .netrc lines, that's fine, but it's not fine to confuse users
on something as basic as password management.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen