Subject: Re: bug#8050: Gnus does not connect to my IMAP server any more

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 00:19:58 -0800

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> But the prompts are poor:
> - for the user name, the prompt says something like "[USER?]diro:143",
>   which is very cryptic.  While I know why there's a "143" there,
>   there's no reason to expect users to know that (my .gnus doesn't
>   mention any port number).  Worse: I really have no clue what the "USER?"
>   is about.

Yes, it's quite cryptic.

The prompts should simply be

"User name for diro:imap: "

and 

"Password for diro:imap: "

Or something like that.  Well, really, the host name should be the
(real) fully qualified host name, if possible, but that may not be
feasible.

> - then I get prompted to save the password, which is the worst of the
>   three:

Yes, it should just say "Save the password for future sessions? " and
not much more.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen