Subject: bug#8050: Gnus does not connect to my IMAP server any more

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:37:35 -0500

>>>> I think this is fixed in the Gnus trunk as far as the auth-source
>>>> credentials go (Lars will have to fix the nnimap code failure on empty
>>>> credentials).

With today's code, I could connect again, thank you.
But the prompts are poor:
- for the user name, the prompt says something like "[USER?]diro:143",
  which is very cryptic.  While I know why there's a "143" there,
  there's no reason to expect users to know that (my .gnus doesn't
  mention any port number).  Worse: I really have no clue what the "USER?"
  is about.
- for the password, the prompt again mentioned 143, which I also thing
  is not warranted.
- then I get prompted to save the password, which is the worst of the
  three:
  - the prompt is *very* long (more than 80 chars).
  - it includes the password in cleartext (WTF?).
  - none of the extra data is really something I care about when
    deciding whether I want to save my password in .authinfo.gpg.
    It's just distracting from the main issue.

-- Stefan