Subject: bug#8050: Gnus does not connect to my IMAP server any more

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:26:07 -0800

Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think this is fixed in the Gnus trunk as far as the auth-source
> credentials go (Lars will have to fix the nnimap code failure on empty
> credentials).

What's a good test case to tickle the bug?

> I have two usability questions (cross-posting to the Gnus mailing list):
>
> 1) should we have a global override to say "never add netrc entries", or
> should the prompt be Y/N/y/n instead of just y-or-n-p, or should the
> save question be asked only once per file, or something else?

Hm...  if you look at how Firefox deals with this, it asks something
like "save password, don't save now, never save for this host", and I
think that's pretty nice, UX wise.  But there isn't a "never ask me
about saving passwords for any hosts ever again", I think?

> 2) should auth-source let-bind the password-cache timeout to something
> larger?  The default is pretty short and for auth-source I think at
> least 30 minutes are reasonable.  It could be a customizable integer.

I'd prefer a longer timeout than 30 minutes as the default.  Perhaps two
hours? 

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen