Subject: Re: bug#8044: Automake should support autotest-based testsuites.

From: Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:39:25 +0100

Hello,

* Eric Blake wrote on Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 07:44:06PM CET:
> > It sounds useful for some (probably not me, though), but I'd be wary
> > of the big warning at the start of the autotest section:
> > 
> >>> N.B.: This section describes a feature which is still
> >>> stabilizing.  Although we believe that Autotest is useful as-is, this
> >>> documentation describes an interface which might change in the future:
> >>> do not depend upon Autotest without subscribing to the Autoconf mailing
> >>> lists.
> 
> Maybe it's time to nuke that paragraph from the next autoconf release.
> I think we've built up enough of autoconf's testsuite to promise a
> stable autotest interface, and that we can commit to maintaining
> backwards compatibility when adding further macros for easier testing.

I agree with this.  I should add though, in a sort-of self-advertising
mood, that you may want to consider that there are still possibly-good
changes that would modify the Autotest API somewhat.  For example, this
AT_CHECK_PROGRESS (which I've been using as AT_CHECK for a while now):
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.autoconf.patches/cutoff=7562

Anyway.  I too think support for Autotest in Automake would be a good
thing.

Thanks,
Ralf