Subject: bug#8037: 24.0.50; Gnus article display of multiparts has become unusable

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:24:14 +0100

If I read a multipart article containing a forwarded mail with
attachment, gnus is moving to the Date header of the included mail once
every second as soon as one goes into the article buffer in order to
move to the attachment.

This makes it utterly impossible to do any serious work.  I would guess
that this is a combination of Gnus trying to update the date header with
a "xxx minutes ago" hint and something with save-excursion or similar
going wrong.

I just pulled and rebuilt Emacs from the git mirror, and it did not
help.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.0)
 of 2011-02-14 on lola
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10999901
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local/emacs' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fno-crossjumping -g''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_AG.utf8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x g n u <tab> <return> j j o b s <return> C-k C-s 
j o b s C-s <left> <left> <left> 4 <return> <down> 
<down> <down> SPC SPC SPC SPC C-x o <tab> <tab> <tab> 
<tab> <tab> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <next> <escape> > C-x o <up> SPC <down> 
SPC C-x o <escape> > <escape> > C-x o M-x g n u s - 
r e <tab> <backspace> <backspace> b u <tab> g <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Retrieving newsgroup: nnml+private:jobs...
Fetching headers for nnml+private:jobs...done
Scoring...done
Generating summary...done
No more unseen articles
No more unread articles
Follow the link [5 times]
scroll-up-command: End of buffer
Mark set [3 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug url-util url-parse url-vars help-mode view mule-util
sort smiley ansi-color gnus-cite flow-fill qp mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table multi-isearch pop3 nndraft nnmh nnnil nnml
nnfolder parse-time auth-source eieio assoc netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap nntp
proto-stream starttls tls gnus-cache gnus-mlspl nnir gnus-sum macroexp
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win info vc-cvs dired-x dired-aux
dired vc-git cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-rcs latexenc preview prv-emacs byte-opt
warnings reftex-vcr reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars tex-bar
tex-buf toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex bytecomp byte-compile
latex easy-mmode edmacro kmacro tex-style tex lilypond-mode compile
comint regexp-opt ring easymenu advice help-fns advice-preload desktop
minibuf-eldef gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit cus-start cus-load preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads server tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
David Kastrup